One of my big yearlong projects this year is the restoration
of North Head Lighthouse in Cape Disappointment State Park,
The lighthouse was constructed in
1897. Carl Leick was the architect of this lighthouse along with
24 other structures in the Northwest. As the mouth of the
Columbia River is treacherous in the best of weather, mariners
where complaining that the earlier built light at the mouth was
insufficient for ships coming out of the North.
The following 2 pictures are of the
lighthouse in its current state. The restoration currently
underway is a multi-phased project that will go on for a couple
My current mission that I have chosen to undertake
involves the installation of 6 new windows (sash and frames) in
the tower and some interior work in the workroom.
windows are located in the watchtower level and in the tower
itself. At some point the original windows were scrapped and the openings
As a side note, this isnít my first
rodeo with lighthouses. So some of the issues I will be facing I
have dealt with before on a similar project.
In the tower on the left, one of my
previous projects, I replaced two windows on the tower body and four
windows on the watchtower.
The first thing I will be doing is
the interior carpentry in the workroom. This will entail running
window casings and door casings for all the windows and doors in
the lighthouse, roughly 200 ft., installing a tongue and groove
ceiling, building a new closet to match an existing and
modifying an existing door to match the original drawings.
In preparation for all this work I
am currently working on tooling up. So this means that I am
building some new tools in order to accomplish this work. One of
the first problems was how was I going to make the complex
window and door casings.
I have been loaned a piece of historic
casing to match exactly. It is from this piece that I am
building the tools necessary to make the run. Also, just to make
things more interesting 8 pieces of the casings are arched.
I consulted with Jim Hendricks and
Richard Arnold to get their opinions about this situation. After
a bit of discussion I have decided to build 1 complex moulding
plane and 1 scratch stock that would be able to do the curves.
As a happenchance I finally
purchased Simon James book Working Wood 3, the Cabinet Makerís
Workshop. In my initial perusing of the book I noticed Simon
detailed how to build a scratch stock that will work on curved
sections of wood.
How fortunate for me as this is
exactly what I need. The main body of the tool I made out of
some scrap beech and I used an old scraper for the blade.