Part war of attrition… part friendship… and mostly encouragement
was all I needed to get my backside out into the shop again and
make a prototype tool… as “suggested” by a very good friend of
mine… Toby Nava.
So having absolutely no idea where to start… a few more head
scratchings and observations of other fine tools led me to make
and by chance one for me too! (how clever was that!!)
Steel….O1… of course… 3mm ground gauge plate…
Toby requested 6 1/2″ of tooth area and a total length of 8″ so
that’s the dimensions. In retrospect… and if I ever make
I should have cut it a few inches longer, leaving
enough steel to use as hold-down space… but it worked out ok…
The handle was to be a tanged version as opposed to scales…so
that was marked up too using a chisel as a template.
Now… this is where the pondering starts… I suppose it would have
been nice to cut the teeth all by hand or employ piskies to do
it for me…but I have long since lost interest in the magic of
repetitive tasks like this with hand tools…and there is no way I
have the skills to get the teeth all at the right pitch and
even… so I thought I would use the milling machine.
Over the last few weeks I had been contemplating how to do
this…I notice that Noel Liogier uses their mill and a tiny
bullnose cutter…at an angle to create waves of teeth with round
bottoms…very clever. But I had a 60 deg dovetail cutter…(don’t
ask me why)…and I figured that should do the trick.
At first I thought I would mount the steel upright on a
right-angle plate but then I had a brainwave… the mill tilts
I’d completely forgotten!!!
The “side” was set just forward of upright…so about 87
degrees…other commercial makers are around 80 degrees but I
think that’s too forward myself..so I pulled it back a tad.
It was a slow start… but as I became more confident I could
speed up so it went quite quickly after that.